Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Snack Time: Popcorn and Brewer's Yeast

I've been trying to come up with more healthy snacks.  It's usually easiest to eat junk, especially if it's sitting around in your cupboard.  Cookies, candy, chips never last long in my house because if I know it's there, I like to nibble, and before I know it, I've eaten half a box of cookies by myself.  Not so good for the midsection.  :( 

To avoid this pitfall, I've been trying come up with snacks that are quick, easy and yummy.  Recently we were were at my parents house for a visit, and I was reminded of a snack that I used to love as a child. I used to love eating popcorn.  I remember it was fun using the air popper and watching it fill up the bowl.  But since I've been out of the house I never got my own popper and I fail at making it microwave popcorn. If burning microwave popcorn was an Olympic sport, I'd bring home the gold every time. :)   Even if I could make it right, it's not that healthy with all that butter and salt they drench it in. 

So don't have a popper or burn it in the microwave like me?  I'm going to show you how to make it on the stove (thanks to my dad)  with nothing more then a pot, oil and the popcorn kernels.

Step one:  Put enough oil to cover the surface area of the bottom of the pan. 
Step two:  Pour in one layer of popcorn kernels.  If you put more, there won't be enough room in your pan once it starts to pop. 



Step three: Turn on high, cover with lid. 
Step four: Watch, and remove from heat once popping starts to slow down.  You don't want to leave it on the heat otherwise, it'll continue to cook and burn the pieces at the bottom of the pan.

Step five:  Wait for it to cool a bit and then transfer to a bowl and cover with topping of your choice.
Last and most important step: Grab your bowl, and maybe a friend to share it with and curl up on a comfy couch for a good movie. :) 

I like to put brewer's yeast on mine.  My husband doesn't like it, but it's one of the few healthy items from my childhood that I still like.   If you've never tried it, it's definitely an acquired taste.  It says on the package it tastes nutty or cheesy, but I think there is no way to describe the flavor.  I recently bought this kind, but I think you can get it in the bulk section at your local health food store.  I did some research, and it's all sorts of healthy.. like being high in vitamin B, high in protein, high in chromium, folic acid, and lots of other good stuff.  Google it, you'll  come up with all sorts of information on it's benefits. 


Brewer's yeast by Modern Products
Brewer's Yeast by Modern Products




Or if you're like my husband and think that it's too weird, try a little sugar and cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic powder or just a light sprinkle of butter and salt.  Try to be creative with your topping without making it unhealthy and enjoy your snack!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try the brewer's yeast - considering I like marmite on my toast (remember that stuff?). My momma used a cast iron pan and shook it back and forth on the stove the whole time it popped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. I do remember you eating that stuff. It didn't look very good. :) I tried shaking the pan too, but didn't really notice a difference on how it cooked.

      Delete

I love to get your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...