Friday, June 29, 2012

Meatless Dish: Fish Tacos

So technically the title of this post is inaccurate.  I know that fish is meat, but for my purposes it is not meat.  I recently have been trying to change my diet to lower my cholesterol.  My doctor told me to reduce my animal products and my dairy.  He also indicated that fish is good for me so I should replace some of my other meat with fish hence why to me it is not meat.  Does that make any sense?

I have never really liked eating fish before but I am trying to find ways I like it.  I always hated it because I didn't like the real fishy taste and I thought it was gross that the whole house smelled like fish.  Well, come to find out the fresher the fish, the less fishy... who knew?  And as for having your house smell, well, it depends on how you cook it.

So this recipe I found as I was glancing through one of my cookbooks one day searching for new and yummy recipes.  A couple of summers ago, I helped pass out food at my local food bank and they were giving away these cookbooks to help people eat healthier.



I love how pretty the filling is... so colorful and vibrant.  The other appeal that this recipe has is that it has very little cooking.  Just chop up some veggies, and you cook up the fish in under ten minutes.  Nice and cool for summer.



So I've never really eaten fish tacos before, but my husband tells me that normally the fish is fried.  These aren't the traditional fish tacos, but yummy all the same.  The recipe calls for sour cream, I just put a dallop of plain yogurt which seemed to work just as well.  What also made them especially delicious was that we served them with hot sauce. It made them just perfect. 

If you want to check it out go to  Champions for Change and you'll find a whole list of recipes.  The actual recipe is called Simple Fish Tacos .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...