Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Glider

So there was another big project I did in the baby's room.  We were going to buy a glider with my husband's bonus.. he got the tv and I get a glider.  However, when the time came, there is never enough money, and really I choke when I think of some of the prices of things.  I.. am.. cheap .. thrifty.  I just have a hard time justifying spending that much money.  Long story short, we hadn't gone shopping for it because I kept putting it off and there aren't many furniture stores around.  So my mother-in-law happened to see a glider at a garage sale for 35 bucks.  Now I have a problem with used things also, mostly because I don't like having to use things I dislike just because it's cheap.  However, used usually wins over expensive.  However I decided that I was going to see if I could make it how I liked otherwise I would spend the money on a new one. 

Now this chair started out pretty ugly.. but worked otherwise, though a little squeaky. 

I went to Joann's and picked out some fabric.. originally 30 a yard on sale for 15.  I spend about 35. So total money spent.. about 70, way better then 300 or 400.
I researched online and figured the best way to cover it was to rip apart the original cushions and use that as my pattern.

 It worked fairly well.. tho the orginal fabric was pretty gross and my hands felt disgusting after touching it all day. I was really excited to put this project together so I finished the bulk of it within a week. 

I made some tweaks, like took out the zipper and made it overlap. 

And here is the mostly finished chair!  I really like it overall.  However, I hit a problem, the cover was sewn into the cushion, and so when I used the original pattern the cover came out way bigger.  I couldn't decide how to fix it because either I could cut it or sew over the lines  by hand.  Both seemed a daunting task, and I didn't want to mess it up.  I finally decided to get fabric covered buttons and put them on to help with the weird lines but to save myself having to sew the whole thing to the cushion.  Problem is, it's months later and it stays unfinished.  but it looks pretty done and rocks my baby to sleep... so maybe someday..............

Sorry for the really bad lighting and  bad picture, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...