Monday, September 25, 2017

Easy Breakfast Burritios


I make these like EVERY SINGLE week.  They are super easy to make, save us money and are probably healthier then the ones you buy at the store.  I kind of just fell into making them one day.  I started making them with biscuits but found they became soggy when defrosted - and I had to make a batch of biscuits every week which was extra work.  I also used leftover croissants -those were pretty yummy, but it gets expensive and those aren't very healthy. I finally settled on tortillas because they don't get soggy and I usually always have them on hand.


Part of why I started making them was also because my husband works a job with manual labor. He burns  A LOT of calories and he was finding that he needed a lot of protein in the morning and the store bought ones just weren't enough. These burritos I can bulk up so it fills him up and lasts him until his mid-morning snack.

* * *
EASY BREAKFAST BURRITOS

1. Scramble eggs.  I use an egg per burrito. I usually add milk just to make them stretch a bit.  I  make them in a batch of about four at at time which lasts the week ( he eats at bible study once a week) but you can do more.

Note: I did find that if you make a large batch of eggs, you can only scramble enough for about five at a time in the pan.  You can mix up more, but only pour in enough to cover your surface area about half an inch.  I found making more at a time in the pan didn't really make more burritos because it was harder to divide them up and I just used more in each burrito. 

2. Cook sausage.  I cheat and usually use the pre-cooked kind and microwave them. If you use the kind in the picture, I use about two to a burrito. If I use the patties, I only use one.  Cut them up into bite sized pieces.

3. Cook hash browns. Here I cheat as well, I used the pre-cooked kind that I can microwave.  I tried the ones I had to cook... he didn't like them as much and they took more work. I use one hash brown and divide into four. 

4. Slice cheese. No explanation necessary.


Assemble.  I put  it in this order: eggs, sausage, hash brown, and cheese.




Wrap it up.  The large flour tortillas are the perfect size.

Freeze. I used to freeze them in wax paper, then I ran out and I just started freezing them in gallon ziplock bags. Either works fine. Don't use tin foil, it will stick to the burrito and you can't microwave foil.

Defrost.  When you are ready to eat them.  Defrost for 2.5 minutes and then cook on high for 2 minutes.  After trial and error, that is what my husband says works perfectly for defrosting them.

Honestly, you could add whatever ingredients you want.  I personally leave out the hash browns for mine. You could use green onions, bell peppers - use your imagination. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...