Friday, October 5, 2012

Blackberry and Nectarine Pie

When I was a kid, my parents and I used to pick blackberries in Oregon. It was lots of fun, and I loved it.   So when I was talking a walk with my little girl the other day and noticed tons of wild blackberry bushes, I was quite excited.  I decided to come back the next day with a container to see if I could pick enough to make a pie.  (My husband loves pies, and is always bemoaning the fact that I don't make them enough).  The problem with berry picking is that you usually eat just as many as you take home.  In the end, we probably only ended up with enough for about half of a small pie.  I was determined to still make a pie, so I combined them with the only fruit we had in the house - nectarines. Sounds a little weird, right?  I've heard of peach pie, but not nectarine pie, but surprisingly it was quite delicious. 

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.  :)








Start with blackberries and nectarines:


Mix ingredients together.





Bake.




Top with whip cream or vanilla ice cream.



 If you want to make your own blackberry and nectarine pie, here's the recipe:
(I'm assuming you have your own pie crust recipe.)

Blackberry and Nectarine Pie Filling

This makes a pie to fill a 7 inch pie pan. 
  • 2 cups of blackberries
  • 3 nectarines, sliced
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 TBS tapioca
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • milk (optional)
  • sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 375. Combine ingredients together in large bowl. Let sit for about a half hour to let the juices mix together. Pour mixture into pie pan lined with half of crust.  Top with the other half of crust. Cut slits in center of crust.  Brush crust with milk and sprinkly lightly with sugar.  Use strips of tin foil to cover the edges of pie. Let bake for 25 minutes, then remove foil. Bake for another 25 -30 minutes until bubbly and crust is lightly browned.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...